Sam Habbas is a Senior Partner at ASAR. In 1988 Sam established ASAR’s International Division for which he provided strategic direction and developed it into the leading legal practice it is today. As an accomplished corporate lawyer, Sam has extensive corporate and commercial law experience and both advises, and acts as lead counsel to, a host of local and foreign multinational clients on a wide range of corporate law matters, and particularly in the following fields: banking and finance, Islamic finance, oil & gas, energy, projects and infrastructure, and multi-jurisdictional corporate transactions. Sam received his education at the University Of Santa Clara, California USA (Bachelor of Arts, with honors, 1980) and at Boston College Law School, Massachusetts USA (Juris Doctorate, 1983). Sam’s practice languages are English and Arabic.
2015 / 2016 Highlights
Banking and Finance
- Advised on the sale of 5 A 330 airbus aircraft that were leased to Kuwait Airways Corporation.
- Acted for a lender in a USD 52 million facility to subsidiaries of a Kuwaiti shipping company which also acted a guarantor.
- Advised on a USD 250 million loan by a bank to a U.A.E subsidiary of our client to discharge obligations under a previous facility.
Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Represented a client in an ICC arbitration dispute for a claim of USD 20 million with its foreign partner with for the termination of a joint venture agreement.
- Acted as legal adviser in Kuwait to a Kuwaiti obligor in the restructuring of USD 475 million debt which including the restructuring of Shari`ah compliant Sukuk with investors from GCC, Europe and Asia and the restructuring of USD 200 million Murabaha facility.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Currently advising on the purchase of a 67% stake in a Kuwaiti listed entity.