Laurent V. Levac is a Senior Associate at ASAR and has been with the firm since August 2014. Prior to joining ASAR, Laurent worked for international law firms with postings in France, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and Canada. Laurent currently practices in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, private equity, corporate law, banking and finance, project finance and energy. Laurent holds a Bachelor degree in Civil Law (LL.L) and Bachelor degree in Common Law (LL.B) awarded by the University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, respectively in 2002 and 2003. He also holds a Master degree in American Common Law, (LL.M) awarded by Cornell Law School, New York, USA in 2005. Laurent was admitted to the Quebec bar (Canada) in 2005 and the Law Society of England & Wales in 2010. Laurent’s practice languages are English and French.
2015 / 2016 Highlights
Banking and Finance
- Advised on a USD 250 million loan by a bank to a U.A.E subsidiary of our client to discharge obligations under a previous facility.
- Provided legal and regulatory advice to various global financial institutions and private banks in relation to their banking and securities activities with respect to Kuwait.
- Provided legal and regulatory advice to leading US and UK headquartered banks in relation to their set up of their local branch bank office’s in Kuwait.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Advised on the acquisition of a 30% stake in a company and a direct participation in certain of its affiliated entities in GCC and non GCC jurisdictions.
- Currently advising a Qatari consortium on the acquisition of a Luxembourg based international private bank (with operations in more than 20 jurisdictions) and liaising with regulatory agencies in several jusrisdiction in connection therewith.
- Currently advising a major European financial institution on its sale of one of its subsidiaries for approximately USD 3.126 billion in cash and liaising with regulatory agencies in connection therewith.
- Currently advising various foreign corporates on their set up of a local presence in Kuwait, including structuring advice for the implementation of various arrangements to adddress Kuwait’s foreign ownership restrictions.