Ezekiel Tuma is a partner at ASAR and has been with the firm since March 2008. Ezekiel practices in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, private equity, corporate law, banking and finance, project finance, restructuring and insolvency, oil and gas. Ezekiel holds a Bachelor of Laws Degree (LL.B) awarded by Makerere University Kampala, Uganda in 1997. He also holds a Master of Laws Degree (Commercial), (LL.M) awarded by the University of Cambridge, United Kingdom in 2000. Ezekiel was admitted to the Ugandan bar in 1999 and is a member of the Uganda Law Society, the East African Law Society and the International Bar Association. Ezekiel’s practice languages are English, French and Swahili.
2016 / 2017 Highlights
Banking and Finance
- Advised a Kuwaiti listed entity on a USD 592 Million cross border Murabaha facility.
- Advised a group of lenders regarding a USD 550 Million facility to a leading UAE hospitality company.
- Advising lenders on project financing for a recently awarded public private partnership project.
- Advised the borrowers and guarantors regarding a USD 250 million refinancing facility entered into by a Kuwaiti entity and its UAE subsidiary.
- Advised Vitol SA on a USD 100 Million facility to Kuwait Energy Company.
- Advised a leading Kuwaiti real estate company and its UAE subsidiary regarding a cross border AED 175 Million Musharaka.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Advised Adeptio AD Investments on its landmark USD 3.4 Billion purchase of a 93.4% stake in Kuwait Food Company (Americana) a Kuwaiti listed entity. Advised on the acquisition, takeover matters and buyer financing transactions.
- Advised the shareholders of Carriage Logistics General Trading Company WLL on the sale of all their shares to Delivery Hero Group. This transaction represents one of the highest value start up exits in Kuwait.
- Advised one of the world’s leading premium schools organizations regarding its acquisition of an international schools and kindergartens business in Kuwait. Advised on the acquisition and buyer financing transactions.
- Acting as counsel to Kuwaiti and Saudi investors in connection with the sale of their participation interests in K- Electric a Pakistan listed entity.
- Advised on the acquisition by Accenture of certain Kuwaiti assets from Schlumberger Business Consulting.
Restructuring and Insolvency
- Advising Kuwait Pipes Industries and Oil Services Company, with regard to the restructuring of its debts amounting to approximately USD 405 million.
- Advising creditors on the re-restructuring of a USD 437 Million facility which involves multi jurisdictional elements, the conversion of the Islamic tranches to conventional tranches and corporate re-organizations.
- Advising creditors on a debt restructuring of USD 230 million facilities whereby the creditor is a company under Financial Stability Law protection.
- Advised a leading UAE bank and a leading UAE airline on the leasing of two aircraft to a Kuwaiti operator.
- Advised on the sale of 5 A 330 airbus aircraft subject to leasing arrangements with a Kuwaiti operator.